Executive Dean’s Travel Award for Women in Science for FY 23‐24
Dean Van Kooten will provide professional development funds to women in scientific and mathematical fields in the form of Travel Awards to supplement trips to conferences and research facilities. Applications are accepted on a continuous basis and may be submitted at any time prior to travel. Graduate students, post‐doctoral associates, assistant scientists, and pre‐ tenured faculty are especially encouraged to apply. Undergraduate students are not eligible to receive this award.
How to Apply:
Submit your request via email to Jo Anne Tracy, email@example.com, with the following information:
- A brief outline of the purpose of the trip (to attend a meeting, work on a collaborative project, etc.). Please spell out any acronyms for the name of meeting, working group, etc., that you are attending.
- City and State or Country to where you will be traveling.
- Dates that you will be travelling.
- Anticipated impact on your professional development.
- Projected cost of your trip. (Hint: it is a good idea to include the full expected costs of the trip, even if you are only requesting a portion of that).
- Availability of other funds that will help to supplement the costs of the proposed trip. Most awards are in the $400 ‐ $600 range. Since this amount generally is not sufficient to fully fund a trip, you are strongly encouraged to seek funding from other sources as well. Please indicate in your request amounts and sources of other funding that will be used to support your travel to show the feasibility of your request. This is particularly important for trips that are more expensive such as those involving international travel. Though not required (because levels of grant support vary), it is expected that faculty will contribute to their graduate student and postdoc travel expenses.
- An up‐to‐date CV
Stipulations and conditions:
- Graduate student and post‐doctoral applications should be submitted by the PI or laboratory supervisor.
- All domestic travel must comply with IU domestic travel policy.
- International travel must follow the IU International Travel Policy.
- Priority for funding is given to scientists in fields in which women in academic tenured positions are underrepresented, as reported by the National Science Foundation.
- Applicant must be an active graduate student, postdoctoral associate, assistant scientist, or junior (pre‐tenure) faculty of IU at the time of travel.
- Only future travel will be funded. Trips that have already taken place will not be reimbursed.
- Funds must be used for the specific trip requested. If you are unable to travel as planned, notify us with the reason the trip was cancelled. Once funds are transferred back you may apply for a replacement trip.
- Each applicant may receive one travel award per fiscal year (July 1 – June 30).
- Limit to two awards per fiscal year per PI.
Contact for applicants: Jo Anne Tracy, Assistant Dean for Research, College of Arts + Sciences firstname.lastname@example.org | (812) 855‐5809
Contact for fiscal officers: John Bunde, IUB Budget Associate, College of Arts + Sciences email@example.com | (812) 856‐0728