A seven-week intensive course in Yiddish language & culture for college students
May 31–July 17, 2020
The Yiddish Book Center in Amherst, Massachusetts is now accepting applications for the 2020 Steiner Summer Yiddish Program, running May 31–July 17, 2020.
In the Steiner Summer Yiddish Program, undergraduate and graduate students ages 18-26:
- take a full year of language courses in seven weeks, tuition-free
- gain substantive knowledge of Central and Eastern European Jewish history and culture in seminars with leading scholars of literature, film, music, and history
- earn up to six college credits upon successful completion of the program
- experience contemporary Yiddish culture during a field trip to New York City, where they tour Yiddish-speaking neighborhoods and attend cultural events
- attend the Yiddish Book Center’s Yidstock: The Festival of New Yiddish Music
- participate in paid internships, gaining professional experience working on Yiddish-based projects (intermediate-level students only)
- create a community of peers from around the world in a residential environment
The program is tuition-free and limited housing subsidies are available for beginner students who demonstrate a financial need. Intermediate students participating in the internship receive a housing subsidy plus a $1,000 stipend. Applications are due February 10, 2020.
Questions? Contact Phoenix Wyatt, Steiner Summer Yiddish Program Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org or (413) 256-4900, ext. 144.
For more information, please visit http://www.yiddishbookcenter.org/steiner-summer-yiddish-program.