IUPUI, Student and Family Connections: Graduate Assistant Position (Division of Student Affairs)
Unit: Student and Family Connections (SFC)
Position Title:Graduate Assistant
Contact Person: Brett Watson, Associate Director
Campus Address: 420 University Blvd., CE 350 Indianapolis, IN 46202
Employment Period:January 2023-May 2023
Summary of the Position: The Graduate Assistant is a one semester position working with Student and Family Connections (SFC) within the Division of Student Affairs at IUPUI. The graduate assistant supports a variety of duties including actively coadvising College Panhellenic Association and coordinating family marketing efforts (i.e., family calendar and family informational card).
The graduate assistant will create outlets to connect students with co-curricular learning opportunities through campus resources, division-wide collaborations, and campus communications. As part of the SFC staff, this role will assist with other unit initiatives as needed, including supporting student organization initiatives, alternative spring break, Jagapalooza, and preparing for summer orientation.
- Co-advise the College Panhellenic Association, which is inclusive of regularly scheduled student meetings, and attending executive meetings.
- Assist with the College Panhellenic Association recruitment, training, development, transitioning, editing, and evaluation for student officers and recruitment counselors.
- Become familiar with the National Panhellenic Conference (NPC) Manual of Information and all governing documents.
- Serve as a liaison between the College Panhellenic Association recruitment counselors, Student and Family
Connections, university administration and departments.
- Coordinate the completion of the annual Family Calendar. Collaborate with campus partners to collect important academic and programmatic dates, send follow up communications as needed, and work with the Multimedia Production Center (MPC) on calendar design.
- Assist with updating other family marketing materials as needed (i.e., Family Information Card)
- Assist with unit program assessments and data collection for all areas of responsibility related to programs, services, communications, and professional development.
- Provide additional office support regarding the completion of office management tasks and advisement of student employees.
- Assist in knowledge and data management through research of current best practices in the fields of Higher Education and Student Affairs while also developing an intentional plan for implementation.
- Contribute as an active team member of the unit, assisting with additional tasks and initiatives as needed.
Bachelor’s degree along with acceptance into and continuous enrollment in a graduate level academic program at IUPUI. Knowledge of and experience working directly with students and affiliation within a College Panhellenic Association organization is strongly preferred. Previous customer service work experience, strong work ethic, attention to detail, dependable time management skills, and strong interpersonal relationship skills are required. This position requires a great deal of interaction
with students, faculty, and staff, resulting in the need for working independently and/or as part of a team. Excellent written and verbal communication skills are required. All employees must have a commitment and interest in working with a diverse staff and serving a diverse population of students and guests. Additionally, it is expected the graduate assistant be available and committed to
20 hours a week during regular business hours, some evenings, and weekends, and be in attendance for all meetings and trainings. Commitment to being an alternative break advisor for spring break.
- $7,500 stipend over a 5-month period ($1,500 per month) beginning January 2023 and ending May 2023 (with possible opportunity to extend to May 2024).
- Possibility of hourly employment during the summer months (June and July) for up to 25 hours per week, with compensation set at $15 per hour.
- Nine credit hours of in-state tuition remission during the fall and spring semesters of employment (out-of-state tuition cost difference must be covered by the student).
- IU Student Health Insurance coverage.
- Actively engage and communicate with students to share resources and involvement information (Profiles: Communicator & Community Contributor).
- Build positive relationships with staff and students to create cohesive teams, enact values and meet shared goals (Profiles: Problem Solver & Community Contributor).
- Initiate, develop, and implement new programs and services to create a welcoming, supportive campus for all students (Profiles: Innovator & Community Contributor).