La Casa / Latino Cultural Center, BL-MULT
Office of the Vice President for Diversity, Equity, and Multicultural Affairs
Primary Role: Under limited supervision, the Graduate Assistant position performs a variety of non-routine tasks related to the successful completion of the daily duties for La Casa. Graduate Assistant is responsible for staffing the center during the evening office hours as well as providing administrative, programming, supervisory, and other assistance to the director. Depending on the qualifications and interests of the applicant, he/she may also have additional project assignments.
Academic Year: 2021-2022, 10-month academic appointment
Weekly hours: 20 hours per week, 50% of Full Time Equivalent
Monday through Thursday evening hours, some flexible Fridays, and weekends
Compensation: $18,000 stipend disbursed in 10 monthly payments, a 30-credit hour fee remission with a maximum of 12 credit hours per semester and 6 credit hours during the summer, and health insurance coverage from August 1, 2021 through July 31, 2022.
- Staff La Casa in the evenings from Monday to Thursday to act as a resource and support for students and student organizations.
- Co-supervise undergraduate staff of La Casa, interns, and volunteers
- Participate and work closely with the Latino Graduate Student Association
- Help with special programs or projects
- Open La Casa when director or departmental secretary is unable to do so
- Represent La Casa or Director in committees or off-site events
- Help in planning, arrangements, serve as facilitator, moderator, participant, when necessitated for programs
- Work with students on the Indiana Latinx Leadership Conference
- Assist with Latino Congratulatory Ceremony
- Lead planning of the La Casa Retreat and Day of Dead Program
- Facilitate with Support Initiatives
- Contact potential co-sponsors for programs
- Meeting with director and departmental secretary on weekly basis
- Help with news release, emails, and flyers for programs
- Publicize events on La Casa’s Facebook, Snapchat, Twitter, and other social media accounts
- Encouraged to seek additional funding support
- Encouraged to do assessment, research
- Other duties as assigned based on need and current projects
Minimum Education: Must be accepted at Indiana University Bloomington in a graduate program with a minimum of 6 credit hours.
Minimum Experience: One year of office, community outreach, public relations, programming, event planning including development, assessment, and implementation.
Required knowledge, skills, and abilities:
- Knowledge of Latinx cultures
- Fluency in Spanish and/or Portuguese is desirable but not required
- Knowledge of computers and database/spreadsheet/ word processing/desktop publishing software and social networking applications
- Excellent verbal and written communication and leadership skills
- Ability to work with wide range of people
- Excellent organizational skills
- Must maintain good class standing.
The Graduate Assistant must be a Bloomington campus student and may not concurrently hold a position as Associate Instructor, Graduate Assistant, or Research Assistant, nor be committed to other full time work. The employee will be expected to work evening hours and work weekend events as needed.
Please complete an application for work study eligibility at the following link: https://fafsa.ed.gov/
- Applications may be submitted before 4/9/2021
- Follow the link to https://jobs.iu.edu/: Go to Staff Positions then “All external candidates” and search for Job ID# 293622 “Programming and Educational Outreach, Graduate Assistant”
- Complete the application including your resume and cover letter.
- Questions? Please contact La Casa at 812-855-0174 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions