Academic Support Center, BL-ACSP
Office of the Vice President for Diversity, Equity, and Multicultural Affairs
As an Assistant Coordinator for one of three Academic Support Center locations in the center building of various residence halls at IUB as well as an online location, this position will be responsible for that particular facility in terms of day to-day and evening activity and will also help the director in other administrative, programming, publicity, and supervisory duties. Depending on the qualifications and interests of the applicant, he/she may also have additional project assignments.
Academic Year: 2021-2022, 10-month academic appointment
Weekly hours: 20 hours per week, 50% of Full Time Equivalent
Because of the center's evening hours for tutoring and other services (Sunday-Thursday from 7-11 p.m.), this position requires a certain amount of scheduling flexibility. While the person in this position clearly would not be expected to be in the center during all hours of operation, many evening and weekend hours will be necessary.
Compensation: $18,000 stipend disbursed in 10 monthly payments. a 30-credit hour fee remission with a maximum of 12 credit hours per semester and 6 credit hours during the summer, and health insurance coverage from August 1, 2021 through July 31, 2022.
- Is a member of the 10-person Steering Committee for the ASC. Also serves on the Community Council and the Residential Education Committee for the appropriate residence hall.
- Coordinates staff from various departments/programs, helping in the creation of a master schedule and supervising their activities during tutoring hours (Sunday-Thursday 7:00-11:00 p.m.) as well as during the day.
- Assists in the hiring, training and supervision of multiple students to work as support staff during ASC hours.
- Serves as a tutor (math, writing or subject-area, as applicable) if needed, assisting students with their assignments.
- Handles publicity for the ASC, including writing press releases/social media posts, designing flyers for upcoming events, arranging photo shoots, and coordinating with other departments to arrange for tours, brochures, etc. Gives numerous presentations to groups, classes and incoming students/parents about the ASC.
- Maintains accurate usage records for the various center locations, using appropriate software and database tools, then coordinates with the director to evaluate this data to determine utilization patterns and success rates for the various locations (Forest, Teter, Briscoe and other satellite/online locations).
- Oversees physical facility, including computer maintenance, telecommunications, ordering supplies, upkeep, etc.
Minimum Education: Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution. Must be accepted at Indiana University Bloomington in a graduate program with a minimum of 6 credit hours.
Minimum Experience: Prior co-curricular involvement, with leadership experience, in a higher education setting is required. Previous tutoring and/or teaching experience highly preferred. Prior supervisory experience preferred.
Required knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Self-motivated and able to work well in a team environment
- Able to build and maintain collaborative relationships with faculty, staff, students, community, and organization and group representatives
- Knowledge of common Office applications, including Word processing, spreadsheet, data base, and presentation software
- Experience with social networking applications
- Interest in data assessment
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Awareness of the campus environment, in particular its academic resources and its residential component, will be highly useful.
Because of the center's evening hours for tutoring and other services (Sunday-Thursday from 7-11 p.m.), many evening and weekend hours will be necessary. The ASC locations will also be open during finals week, and the ASC Graduate Assistant is expected to be present.
The Graduate Assistant must be a Bloomington campus student and may not concurrently hold a position as Associate Instructor, Graduate Assistant, or Research Assistant, nor be committed to other full time employment.
Please complete an application for work study eligibility at the following link: https://fafsa.ed.gov/
- Applications may be submitted before 04/11/2021
- Follow the link to https://jobs.iu.edu/: Go to Staff Positions then “All external candidates”
- Search for Job ID # 293690 Assistant Coordinator, Graduate Assistant
- Please include your resume and cover letter with your application.
- Questions? Please contact the ASC at 812-855-6931 or e-mail email@example.com with any questions