The Graduate Assistant for Civic Engagement is responsible for advising alternative break trip leaders and serving as a civic engagement resource for the IUPUI community. As an essential member of the professional staff, the graduate assistant will oversee the fall (2 trips) and spring alternative break (5 trips) as the risk manager, serve as a fall and spring break trip advisor for one of the trips, and work with our civic engagement programs.
Individuals will gain experience in administration, leadership development, assessment and evaluation, program development, fiscal responsibility, supervision, communication, marketing, facilitation, and problem solving.
Position Responsibilities and Expectations:
(60%) Primary advisor for Alternative Break scholars of 10 trip leaders and over 100 participants, inclusive of regularly scheduled student meetings, and attending weekly co-coordinator meetings based on critical service-learning theory and best practices.
- Advising of participant education and management.
- Advising of logistical, fiscal, and risk compliance.
- Serving as an administrator for financial transactions.
(20%) Serving as an Alternative Break trip advisor for Fall Alternative Break and Alternative Spring Break and assisting in the development of curriculum for the trip advising cohort.
(15%) Secondary advising of Civic Engagement Assistants.
- Advising of CEAs on evaluation, outreach marketing, and program events through Qualtrics and other assessment methods.
- Be a part of the Political Engagement Committee for IUPUI
(5%) Participating in staff meetings and trainings
- Bachelor's degree prior to August 1, 2020.
- Acceptance into and continuous enrollment in a graduate master's program through IU or IUPUI.
- A commitment and interest in working with a diverse staff and serving a diverse population of students.
- Excellent communication skills.
- A valid driver's license
- Ability to adapt within a dynamic work environment.
- Maintain good academic standing.
- Interest in alternative breaks, leadership development, and civic engagement
- Commitment for social justice education, and inclusive practices.
- Participation in alternative break programming through trips or planning process.
Graduate Assistantship Term:
August 1, 2020-May 15, 2021 (an opportunity to extend to May 2022)
There is a commitment of 20 hours per week. Availability on Fridays from 8 AM-5 PM. There will be occasional required hours in the evening due to programs and meetings. The graduate assistant is expected to work with the site supervisor to flex hours accordingly.
-Nine credit hours of in-state tuition remission each fall/spring semester
-$10,000 annual stipend ($1,000 per month for 10 months)
-IU student health insurance ($1,950 value)
Monday, July 6 at 11:59 PM. No late applications will be accepted.
Application Link: http://go.iu.edu/2tYR
IUPUI Campus Center & Student Experiences
Brian Starkel, Associate Director
CE 370, 420 University Blvd, Indianapolis, IN 46202